Search This Blog

Monday, June 22, 2009

Rehab Day 15

Weight: 128.2 (ouch)

Food
Today was entirely back on track. Eggs and nuts for breakfast. Chicken, pistachios for a mid-morning snack, and veggies. A larabar in the afternoon. 2 grilled sirloin patties with all the fixins for an early dinner. We didn't get home until around 8:30 and by that time there didn't seem to be any point to eating right before bed.
Supplements
I haven't been listing much in the way of supplements because I don't take much in the way of supplements. I usually have 2 fish oil capsules with breakfast and with dinner. I take caffeine first thing in the morning and occasionally part way through the day as well. Post workout, you'll see I list my smoothies in which I use dried egg whites. I don't even consider the egg whites a "supplement" - they're just powdered eggs! The only ingredient is "egg whites", unlike most designer protein supplements which contain a whole selection of weird, unpronouncable chemical concoctions.
Probably the weirdest thing I take is baking soda. I'm quite conscious of the acid/alkaline balance of my high protein diet. This topic deserves a post all to itself on the BRIO page. Basically a net metabolic acidosis is a bad thing, and a slightly alkaline internal environment is a good thing. The remnants of what you eat present themselves to the kidneys as either an acid, a base, or a netural. You can't pee out acid, so your kidneys neutralize the acid with one of only two alkaline substances stored in the body: calcium from the bones or glutamine from the muscles. Either you're breaking down bone mass or muscle mass - bad news either way. Grains and dairy (espeically hard cheeses) are highly acidic. This could possibly explain why north americans have such high rates of osteoporosis despite consuming huge amounts of dairy. Animal protein though is also acidic, but in a caveman style diet, this is balanced out by the alkalinity of the dark green leafy things and berries. There are several books written on this topic such as the Acid Alkaline Diet, the pH Miracle, and The pH Balance Diet. Of those, I've only read the first one.
There are plenty of supplements promising to bring down metabolic acidosis and even some kooky water ionizer things for sale on the internet, but the easiest, simplest, and cheapest is good old baking soda. It's even the main ingredient in Alka Seltzer so it can help with acid reflux too. I often begin and end the day by chugging 1 tsp of baking soda dissolved in water. Whether it's a purely psychological effect or not, I do seem to feel better when I take it and it helps to settle the acidy stomach on intermittement fasting days.
CrossFit
"Handstand Helen"
3 rounds:
400m run
21 Kettlebell swings, 1 pood (16kgs)
12 Handstand pushups
---> 12:36
Felt great with this one today. Out of breath, but in a good way...

No comments:

Post a Comment