Search This Blog

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Enough is Enough

As I confessed on my regular blog, my nutrition has gotten highly out of control. It's true, I'm human. I've fallen out of the paleo tree and hit every branch on the way down. Cheat days have become plentiful and my poor system is full of trans fats, MSG, preservatives, artifical flavors, and toxic industrial vegetable oils. And sugar. Lets not forget the sugar.

Gross.

I won't go into detail about what all has been consumed lately, but if you want to know, visit David's blog.

So, starting tomorrow (diet starts Monday, don't you know...) I'm putting myself in a self-enforced Cavegirl Rehab program. 30 days of strict "detox" to kick my bad habits. I'm like a junkie taking another turn at kicking my heroin habit. Okay, well maybe now I'm being dramatic... When the 30 days is done, not much will change, but I will grant myself ONE cheat per week, as per usual. Don't misunderstand me here and think that this is just a short term, quick fix dealie. Cavegirl is a permanent lifestyle.

30 Day Caveman Rehab

mmmmm... meat and vegetables!

  • Caveman food - This one is a given. This means plenty of meat, fish, and eggs, preferably wild, organic, or grass fed. Lots of veggies, anyway, anyhow. Nuts, seeds, avocados, olive oil, and coconut oil for fats. Noticeably absent are all grains (yes rice and oats are grains), dairy, legumes, sugar, and industrial vegetable oils. To break my carb addiction, I'll be doing the first few weeks of this plan as a very low carb diet, but will add back fruit later on once I've broken the glucose dependence.
  • Intermittent Fasting - The human body is supremely adapted to dealing with short term periods of stress. Small bouts of fasting (no food until dinner, for example) leads to increased insulin sensitivity, better fat utilization, and directs energy towards cellular repair. I set aside 1-2 days per week for fasting, usually on the CrossFit rest days. Read more about this here, here, or here.
  • CrossFit - I love working out, so sticking to exercise is no problem. I follow the 3 days on, 1 day off plan on the crossfit.com main page. The constant variation of functional movements has me getting fit just like a caveman. In the spirit of attacking what your weaknesses, I'm working on all my "pushing" movements: Pushups, handstand pushups, and ring dips.
  • Be my own car - The snow is gone and my bike has been retrieved from it's hanging place on the garage ceiling. My aim this month is to ride my bike whenever and where ever possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment