Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The End of Rehab

Okay, so the 30 days are up and that means it's time for a review. Lets compare the goals to the results. In the end I am 5lbs lighter than day one, but you've seen how much that fluctuates from day to day. The four areas to work on in this 30 day intensive were:

  • Caveman Food
  • Intermittent Fasting
  • CrossFit
  • Being My Own Car

Caveman Food

The original intention was to do all 30 days without cheating. That lasted, I believe, 13 days, so I have to give myself an F in the "no cheats" department. All in all though the intention was to reign in the cheat days and confine them to one or two meals per week, which we have successfully done. We had also been eating out a lot, relying on take out and processed foods way too much. I like cooking, so it doesn't take a huge effort for me to snuggle up with my cookbooks, reunite with my meat slicer, and get back to my post in the kitchen. I am lucky to have a great caveman as the other half of this team who cleans up after me in exchange for being well fed all the time. Thank you David!

On a side note, I like training barefoot and I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Does that make me barefoot in the kitchen? Good thing I'm not pregnant or this would be really cliche...

Intermittent Fasting

In total I think we had 3 or possibly 4 days of intermittent fasting. I'll continue working it into my life, probably on every other rest day. I find it works especially well when I am feeling beat up, sore, and on the verge of getting sick. When your body needs to direct energy to repair and immune function, it's ok to give it a short break from the hard work of digesting food. Going without eating until dinner time really isn't the end of the world.

CrossFit

For the fitness side of things, this was a successful 30 days. Of the 21 WODs completed, all but one were new PRs. Among other things I got my first ring dip, something I thought I would never be functionally capable of doing. I PR'd my continuous pullups at 15, kick ass considering I had set a goal to get 12 in a row by the end of 2009. And I added 7lbs to my CrossFit total. My gymnastics, weight lifting, and cardio capacity all improved noticeably because I didn't just get stronger or just get faster, I got fitter. That's what CrossFit does to you! Several of the 21 WODs I had never done before and many of the other I was able to attack as Rx'd or at least closer to it than previous attempts. I even managed to beat my husband at a few! Even with my cheat days, eating cavegirl 80-90% of the time has resulted in some very satisfying gains on the performance side.

Being My Own Car

I'm still riding my bike to work as often as possible. I really enjoy the morning ride and I don't find this to be a chore at all. I'll be sad when winter creeps in and keeps my indoors, so I'll be appreciating the weather while it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment